Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sedentary


Sedentary: a habitual lack of phyisical activity


Sedentary is one of those words. You know; the ones that are used to describe yourself, that when they're first uttered, you think, "Me? No. I'm not THAT. It's not THAT bad..." Words like obese. And unhealthy. And yet, if I'm being honest with myself, and it's about time I that I be, sedentary is precisely what I am.
Exactly how sedentary? Well, though I'm not necessarily sitting on my sofa all day, I'm definitely not getting any kind of formal exercise, and most days I'm not getting a very large amount of informal exercise either. I clean my house on a regular basis. And while that definitely qualifies as activity, certainly has a way of burning a few calories and putting a little sweat on my brow, that's not exactly going to get me to my goal on it's own.
That's about to change. In addition to beginning my P90X training, I am going to start working toward spending less time sedentary and more time active. I'm going to play more and sit out less. I'm going to dance. I'm going to live this life, not just watch it. And I'm going to start looking forward to the things that my hard work and new lifestyle are going to bring with it.
I'm looking forward to marking things off my list that I don't like to hear or think about myself. I'm looking forward to the day that I can say I haven't been sedentary for a day, then a week, then a month...until I can say I'm not sedentary anymore, haven't been sedentary for a very long time, and am never going to be sedentary again. I'm looking forward to the day I can say I am no longer, and will never be obese or unhealthy again. I'm looking forward to the tiny day -to-day triumphs and successes that will eventually add up to make up my overall success.
I'm looking forward to the blessings that my new life are going to bring me. Starting with today.

1 comment:

  1. Yea Yea yea! Go get it! My favorite dancing is the argentine tango. I just love it! You should Google your city name Argentine tango club. I bet you will find a club in your area

    ReplyDelete