Friday, January 28, 2011

Confession: I Love To...

Confession: I love to dance. Did you hear me? I LOVE to dance. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to dance. I'm actually not bad at it. Don't get me wrong...I'm no Ginger Rogers, but I can keep a beat and follow some simple steps. I'd love to learn to swing dance. And salsa. And hell, let's be honest, I think it would be cool to know how to work a pole, not that I want to do it for a living or anything. But that's not all I love. I love to play tennis. I love to play volleyball. I love to go hiking. I love to run.

But here's the thing: I don't do any of those things. As I sit and reflect on this, the excuses are flying through my head. I'm too out of shape to run and hike. I don't have anyone to play tennis and volleyball with. I get sideways looks and rude comments made when I dance (You would be amazed the things that have been said about me dancing out places because I'm not a size 6. Apparently it's offensive and laughable for a girl my size to want to move her hips.) out places.

It's a bit crazy to me that I have allowed my weight, and the stigma that comes along with it, to stop me from doing things that I LOVE to do. On one level, I get it. I would have to or I wouldn't have allowed it to happen. But on another, I'm so perplexed as to how I have allowed this to happen. Common sense should have kicked in year ago: I love to do things that are active. If I do things that are more active, the weight will slowly go away, as well as the stigma that comes with it. When the weight goes away, I'll be more in shape and more able to do the things I love. It's win/win. What have I been thinking??


So, I've decided to ditch the excuses, and start doing the things I love. I'm gonna shake my derriere, and hope I don't hear the comments (and TRY to filter them out if I do). Though I can't run yet, I can definitely walk. No more excuses. No more craziness. Tennis anyone??

1 comment: