Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kim's Corner

Eating right, nutrition-always seems to focus on what we are eating and cooking for dinner, no? What about the rest of the day? You can't just survive a transformation in your diet by simply changing up what you and your family eats for dinner. It's 24/7 (as I write this, I was up at midnight last night eating chips and queso, good job).

In our society, most people skip breakfast, then either get fast food or fraternize with co-workers over buffalo wings at lunchtime, then go home and eat a "healthy dinner" and think that's enough-it's not! Your body's metabolism needs a kick start early in the morning to get going all day-that is how our bodies operate. Studies show that people who eat a good breakfast WILL lose weight faster than people who skip. Why? Because when you fast overnight and then through the morning, your body goes into 'starvation mode'. It goes back to our hunter/gatherer ancestors-your body thinks food supply is in short demand, so it holds on to any food intake as if you won't be eating again for a while. Hence, skipping breakfast, when you do finally eat lunch, your body will hold on to it for fat. I see so many women making that mistake of skipping meals, thinking that will help them lose weight-it might for a day, but it will backfire on you in the long run. Still want to skip breakfast? I didn't think so.

The key to keeping your metabolism up is to eat small meals, 5 or 6 times a day. This keeps your blood sugar and your energy at a steady rate all day long. I try to eat my breakfast every morning by 8:00 or so. For all you moms out there, treat your eating like you would a toddler-snack time at 10, lunch at 12, snack time at 3, and dinner at 6. I know it may seem like you are eating all the time, but that's exactly what you should be doing. Any one of my given "meals' is not a full plate of food, it's more like grazing. I promise if you do this, you will see instant results in weight AND energy. Even if you do have the occasional midnight queso fest...

Next week-I'm going to write about exactly what kinds of foods you should be eating throughout the day.

Here's what I get up at 5 am every morning and make for my husband and I for breakfast-(if I can get up, you can too-I've never been accused of being a morning person)

1 whole wheat english muffin
3 eggs
3 egg whites
2T milk
picante sauce
lowfat shredded cheese
salt and pepper

Just scramble up the eggs and milk, divide in 2, sprinkle on cheese and picante sauce! I give each of us a half of an english muffin each. I throw these into tupperwares for us to bring to work. It's only 250 calories each and loaded with protein to keep me full. Well, until 10am ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment